Wednesday, August 29, 2012

America's Pastime During the "Dead Ball" Era ...

From the C.W. Witbeck collection at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.

Back when Ty Cobb, Shoeless Joe Jackson and Honus Wagner were American sports heroes ... Brookhaven had its own.
Here is a vintage photo of McGrath’s Baseball Team of 1911. The caption reads simply: "Warren Brown, 3rd from right, and other team members."

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Warren Brown, the only person identified in the caption, is Samuel Warren Brown Sr., the father of Samuel Warren "Boots" Brown.


If I am incorrect in my assumption, please send me a message either here or on my Facebook page and I will issue a correction.

For those of you, like me, who know zilch about baseball's history,  please see this link for more information on the "Dead Ball Era."

UPDATE: The man with the mustache is John William (Willie) McGrath, 1861-1992, a well-loved, well-respected man in town.  So much so, the citizens erected a statue in his honor and it stands today in Railroad Park, facing the old McGrath's building. He was the "the executive head and unofficial PR man" for the store founded by his father.  Source: Becker Family Reunion Book of 1994 via Bettie Hatcher Cox.  Thanks, Bettie!

2 comments:

  1. The man in the middle with moustache is John William (Willie) McGrath: 1861-1922. His statue stands in Railroad Park facing the McGrath building. His sister, Mary Ellen McGrath Becker, was my great-grandmother. He has been described as "the executive head and unofficial PR man" for McGrath's Dept. Store founded by his father.(Becker Family Reunion Book of 1994)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Bettie, I was wondering if he was a McGrath! Thanks for this information.

    ReplyDelete