Thursday, April 25, 2013

Western Union ... De de de de de Deh De de de de DEH (You Get the Idea)


From the MDAH Digital Archives ...

Western Union staff members,  Photographer: Luther M. Hamilton, Sr.

1924
Crystal Springs, Mississippi
Copiah County

I don't know why, but every time I hear speak of a telegram, I immediately think of the old joke that goes like this:

"Mrs. Murphy. Mrs. Murphy! Telegram for Mrs. Murphy!

       Is this a singing telegram?

Well, ma'am. It's rather sad news.

      BUT ... I've always WANTED a singing telegram ...

Well ... Okay, here goes ...

Dada, dada, da, DAH (to the tune of Hooray for Hollywood)

Your sister ROSE is dead.
I'm here to tell you that she died in bed,
And even though the broad was feelin' great,
She'd just turned ninety-eight,
Your sister ROSE is dead!" 
----
And on a politically correct note: Apologies to anyone whose sensibilities were offended by the foregoing JOKE.   (To quote my favorite cartoon character, Foghorn Leghorn, "That's a Joke, Son, Doncha GET it?")

No comments:

Post a Comment