Thursday, January 10, 2013

Annie Mae Hooker

"Older woman in printed dress with her hair parted down the middle. Name Annie Mae Hooker. Copy made 5/29/1958. No other info." -- LLF Library Caption, from the John Holly Williams Collection.


This picture in particular has intrigued me ever since I discovered the wonderful treasure trove of photos in the local library's online archives.  In so many instances, we have no idea of names or dates.  In this case, we know her name: Annie Mae Hooker, but not much more.

I Googled her name and an instant hit came up in the form of Delta "Front Porch" Blues singer John Lee Hooker's song Annie Mae.

At first I wondered if she could be his grandmother or aunt, but no amount of Googling helped me answer that question.  Upon listening to the lyrics, I realized that it is a torch song and to link it to this lady from another place in time is, well, quite a stretch.

Still allured by the coincidence and the possibility that they could be related, I decided to feature this photo in the hope that someone reading this will know more about Annie Mae Hooker and share that information either here in the comments section or on my Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. This picture has also intrigued me but I have not discover her identity. I have a group of Hooker folk on my family tree and thought she might be the mother of James "J. E." Hooker, the first African American sheriff of Lincoln County. James parents were William Hooker and Annie Thomas. Several relatives have said she is not our Annie, so, that leaves me where I started, no identity for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, LindaRe, I was hoping you had the answer! Oh well, we can keep on trying!

    ReplyDelete