Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Teen Hang Out Disappears and a Shopping Center Rises


Both Photos from the Don Jackson Collection, LLF Library
"Shainberg's, Sears, and T G & Y are located in this shopping center," -- Library caption.

It's the mid 1960s, based on the Mustang in the top photo, but the exact date, I cannot recall. I seem to remember that Hammond's, where they served the best brown derby ice cream custards ever, was atop a hill, approximately where the photographer was standing in the second photo.  

Help as far as the history of this center is needed and welcomed, here or on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Mollie, maybe some day you will run across a photo of Hammonds. I can't tell you how many times on a hot summer day I think of the delicious REAL lemonade slush in the large vat that Mr. or Mrs. Hammond served with a ladle...yummmmmmmmy. I don't remember exactly when this paradise disappeared and was replaced by a parking lot! ...must have been in early or mid-sixties since we all started hanging out at Monte's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had to have been in the early to mid 1960s, Bettie. It was sold and razed to make way for this shopping center, as far my memory serves. I recall they shaved down the hill on which it sat as well.

    ReplyDelete