Thursday, May 2, 2013

School's Out! and So's the Milk!

From the Don Jackson Collection
"Got Milk?  Several people are in a restaurant.  Empty milk bottles are sitting on a table where some girls are sitting." -- Lincoln, Lawrence, Franklin Library caption.

Two of the girls are long-time high educators Blanche Mathison (Modern Analysis, Trig; Algebra), center, and Theresia Abshagen (English IV, Spoken English, Annual Adviser), right.  

Just who the lady is in the ruffled dress and the name of the man -- though his face is familiar -- are not registering in my old brain and help is needed.

If anyone can put names to faces in this photo, including those in the background and a possible date, which I would think is from the 1950s or early 1960s, feel free to leave a comment here or on my Facebook page.  Identifying the location would also be welcomed!

Update: The couple in the background (seated behind Miss Mathison) is Mr. and Mrs. Roy Malta.  The suggested dates have ranged from the 1940s to 1960.  

7 comments:

  1. Miss Ab and Miss Mathison are easily recognized,
    though the others are not familiar to me.
    Could the photo be from the late 1940s, rather than later? (I was at BHS in the early 1950s.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to say, Bob. Some people have guessed the 40s others have put it around 1960. The dress on the lady to the left reminds me of the styles in the mid to late 1950s. The man's tie suggests the 1950s as well, but his "eyebrow" glasses were more popular in the late 1940s, early 1950s. I guess the best clue are the milk bottles. Anyone know when they switched from bottles to cartons? I can remember getting them in 1959 and 1960, but not sure when the bottles were retired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could this be the bus station? Anyone remember the interior of the Greyhound bus station?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be, Sukie, but I don't recall tables there. What about Della's Cafe across from the Depot(before Della moved out to New Highway 51 and built the Tourist Court)? Or possibly the famous Inez Coffee Shop?
    Miss Ab looks quite "dressy". Note the time on the clock is 2:30 p.m.
    If someone can identify the gentleman and/or Miss "X", that may help.
    I remember well the 8 oz. B&B Dairy milk bottles and particularly liked the creamy, rich chocolate milk - I bought many bottles at Conan Doyle's Cafe on Monticello St. in the very early 1950s (I'm sure the photo was not made there!)
    I thoroughly enjoy your daily photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this could be Brown's Cafe which was (I believe) on the corner just south of Della's Tourist Court. A Shell Station is there now. I don't know who owned it. We ate there some Sundays in the 1950's.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, Bettie, could be. Marti Parker used to stop in there often as a kid, I wonder if she recognizes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kern's Cafe, which was also across from the Depot near CB Perkins?

    ReplyDelete