Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Tourist Court from the 1950s

From the Don Jackson Collection -- LLF Library
"The back view of a motel. Name of the motel is Danny's Tourist Court." -- Library caption.

This one has me stumped.  I don't recall it at all.  Help is welcome in determining its history, location, etc.  Please leave word here or on my Facebook page.

In my research, I did find some interesting reading on the rise and fall of the Mom and Pop motel industry along the nation's old highway system.  Here's the link if you are so inclined.

2 comments:

  1. I don't recall a "Danny's" tourist court either.
    But I think "Della's" was the first to appear
    in the late 1940s or very early 1950s on the
    "new" Highway 51, out near Brown's Drive-In. You showed a Nations Building a few days ago (the location of which I can't remember), but I believe that early on there was also a Nations Tourist Court on the new highway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bob,
    Funny you should mention Nation's Tourist Court. I recently found it in a photo taken on E. Monticello of the Brookhaven Horsemen. It's way off in the distance, but on enlargement, you can make out the Purity Ice Cream sign, the Anding Building and the sign showing
    Nation's Tourist Court. It was east of the Anding Building, which was featured as the home of Fisk Tires in a recent posting on Ma Bell's new building.

    ReplyDelete